Thursday, January 3, 2008

Peer Operated Recovery Treatment and Support (PORTS)

Peer Operated Recovery Treatment and Support (PORTS) 

A Mental Health Recovery Model 

Developed by Michael Hlebechuk  

 

 

PORTS is a mental health self-directed care model that combines mental health brokerage services with a peer counseling/advocacy education program and a couple of evidence based practices that actually work. There are no outcome studies to demonstrate the efficacy of PORTS. It has never been implemented. I drafted it up in response to a question for a job interview. I firmly believe, however, that if implemented this model would help people along the road to recovery in ways we haven't seen yet through a formal program. The 2 page draft that outlines PORTS is located at:

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/mentalhealth/consumers-families/ports.pdf



Your comments on PORTS are most welcomed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where's the comments?
I can't be the first.
Sounds like a straight forward approach to implementing person directed brokerage style services in mental health. What's stopping us? It's widely recognized that this is what works.
BTW- Michael, why so few posts on your blog? You are busy, no doubt. Me, on the other hand, I'm unemployed. I post more regularly. I'm putting this and a link to the PDF on my blog today.